#1 Guarin

Guarin

Bronze Star

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

Roger’s Balanced 4-4-2 Guide

Strong Points:

--Very balanced formation, and with the right players can be very effective.

--Different options for attacking

--Good defence if you have the right CM’s

Weak Points:

--If you play well it’s hard to be flooded by the other team, however, opposing formations with more midfielders have the best chance of doing this.

Positions

GK

What they need – This is the same as any formation you use. Get the best keeper you can based on your budget. If you have 50k, go for a top, cheap goalkeeper and if you have a bigger budget, a top goalkeeper should definitely be on your shopping list in my opinion. In this formation the goalkeeper is protected by 4 defenders. For me, Neuer and Buffon have been the overall best goalkeepers I have used.

LB

What they need – Left back and Right back need to be reasonably good pace as well as good defensively and decent strength to hold off those faster stronger opposing attackers. Good passing and decent dribbling will also help here, as with all players if you want a top-notch 442 team. Some examples? I have had success using Cole, Alaba, and Pereira – The latter in my opinion being a nice fairly strong LB.

Workrates? – I find High/Medium is absolutely fine in this formation. I rarely get stuffed over because my fullbacks are nowhere to be seen. The Medium defensive workrate will always pull them back into their own little area on the pitch if they are good defenders. Plus, you have a LM or RM in front of them who can have some defensive skills to cover. Med/Med would also be great as then the fullback will stay back a lot unless you send him on runs or 1-2’s or generally involve him in play.

CB

What they need – We have 2 CB’s in a 442 formation. I have had success using 2 equal CB’s, both fairly pacey but with great defence, heading and workrates. You can also use one faster CB, and one absolute beast who is perhaps a little slower. You are getting nowhere in FUT Division 1 unless you have some pace in your team, OR, you are a very good player and no exactly how to use your team. Chiellini/Ogbonna/Gamberini are a fantastic trio of CBs to rotate. You may listen to the ‘pace hype’ surrounding these 3 players but they are all good defenders, all fast, all good heading, and all have great workrates.

Workrates? – Med/High or Low/High is essential here. This is perfect for a CB in a 442. I have not used any high attacking workrate CBs because I do not want the possibility of them leaving my goalkeeper more exposed and shooting off up the pitch.

RB

What they need – Right back and Left back need to be reasonably good pace as well as good defensively and decent strength to hold off those faster stronger opposing attackers. Good passing and decent dribbling will also help here, as with all players if you want a top-notch 442 team. Some examples? I have had success using Richards, Piszczek, and Lichsteiner – The latter in my opinion being a great RB, great defensive skills and he also has good passing and can head: this is just the kind of LB/RB that you want.

Workrates? – I find High/Medium is absolutely fine in this formation. I rarely get stuffed over because my fullbacks are nowhere to be seen. The Medium defensive workrate will always pull them back into their own little area on the pitch if they are good defenders. Plus, you have a RM or LM in front of them who need to have some defensive skills to cover. Med/Med would also be great as then the fullback will stay back a lot unless you send him on runs or 1-2’s.

LM

What they need – You have 2 options here. Someone who is a decent defender as well as crossing and passing, or, someone who is an extra form of attack and is better attacking. I go with the first kind. Take a look at Lulic and Maggio my current LM/RM. They both have decent pace, but good defence, passing, crossing, and a couple of bonuses are Maggio’s heading and Lulic’s extra good crossing. Gareth Bale for me would be the perfect Premier League LM to fit a 442 formation, as another example. If you choose to go for a better attacker that is fine, it still would be best to have some defence or a Medium defensive workrate but if you are good at attacking from the wings with someone, this could be for you. Your fullback will be able to cover.

Workrates? – Perfect is High/Med or Med/Med. Again unless you are putting your LM/RM in to be a better attacking outlet for you, you’ll want them to be pretty much all-rounders...

CM

What they need – Your 2 CM’s are absolutely vital in this formation. They must be, and I’m sorry to use the popular word, but absolute ‘beasts’. By this I mean they must be all-rounders, this is one of the main points of my guide. 2 x all-rounders has brought me success in Division 1. My CM’s are absolute rocks, having good defense, good passing, good shooting and decent heading. It’s actually hard to find such perfect CM’s as there are in the Serie A league (In my opinion!). The likes of Guarin IF, K.V. Boateng, Vidal, Marchisio are perfect. They can do it all. High Strength and Stamina are good qualities for this type of CM to also have. You also have the option of using one more defensive CM such as De Rossi, Yaya Toure, Alonso along side a more attacking CM where the options to you are a vast pool of players across all leagues. Workrates are important here, I will mention below what I have had success with and also further down this guide I think I am going to conjur up some dodgy Paint images for you to ponder over.

Workrates? – OK, firstly I choose to use 2 all-round CM’s, both with quite equal stats. High/High is fine here, and K.P.Boateng & Vidal who I use are both High/High. Meaning you can control them yourself though the middle when attacking, keeping them in control, and when you lose the ball they come flying back to help the counters from your opponent. I have had no problem using 2 x High/High CM’s, and when I rotate my 3 subs, Guarin IF has High/Med and this is also fine, but only because Guarin is a great defender as well as attacker. You need to balance your 2 CM’s to just make sure that between them, they have the workrate and defensive skills, as well as some pace, to get back and help your defense, and control the flow as much as possible. You need attack also as if not your strikers may get isolated. This really is important for the way I am describing 442 to you, good Centre Mids!

RM

What they need – You have 2 options here. Someone who is a decent defender as well as crossing and passing, or, someone who is an extra form of attack and is better attacking. I go with the first kind. Take a look at Maggio and Lulic my current RM/LM. They both have decent pace, but good defence, passing, crossing, and a couple of bonuses are Maggio’s heading and Lulic’s extra good crossing. If you choose to go for a better attacker that is fine, it still would be best to have some defence or a Medium defensive workrate but if you are good at attacking from the wings with someone, this could be for you. Your fullback will be able to cover. If you choose to have to more attacking wingers make sure you control them well so the other players are not too exposed.

Workrates? – Perfect is High/Med or Med/Med. Again unless you are putting your RM/LM in to be a better attacking outlet for you, you’ll want them to be pretty much all-rounders...

ST

What they need – This is the part of 442 that is totally down to you; A big man + Little man, Pace gods, Shooting gods or just your favourites – Whatever you want. The only thing to remember are that your Strikers are your absolute best option in attack. As for myself, I like one smaller, quicker striker who is very clinical, and a bigger striker who has good heading ability to keep a good balance in attack. Just like many of you will have, I’ve tried a lot of strikers and have found my own handful that I can play effectively with.

Workrates? – Both can be High/Low here, but if one has Med or High defence, this can also work. It is great to have at least 1 with a Low defence rate to make sure he is attacking and looking to be played in and take those chances, and the 2nd can be really anything, it’s about scoring goals... Got to remember that sometimes in FUT.

[Condensed] Ideal position qualities – Balanced 442

GK

--The best you can afford within your budget.

CB

--Good defensive/heading stats + at least 1 with high pace
--Strong and good stamina
--Medium or Low attacking workrate
--Bonus: Good passing

LB / RB

--Good defensive stats + decent heading
--Reasonably fast and good stamina
--Decent passing
--Medium or High defensive workrate
--Bonus: Good crossing

CM

--High passing
--Good defending
--At least 1 with good shooting
--Good heading
--Fairly fast + good stamina
--High defending workrate for at least 1
--Bonus: High Longshots and Shot Power

LM / RM

--Good passing and crossing
--Good defence is perfect
--Fairly fast
--High attack/Medium defence workrate
--Bonus: Any attacking traits, Good heading

ST

--The best you can afford within your budget
--High shooting qualities
--1 with good heading ability
--1 with Low defensive workrate is ideal
--Bonus: Any attacking traits, Ridiculously high Finishing and other striker stats

The Importance of CM’s

As I have stressed above, good CM’s are vital to a balanced 442. They will be part of all attacking and defending. This is why the perfect CM should have high Passing, 80 or more is excellent. Alongside this good defence and ability to take the attacks forward. Here’s a couple of dodgy images showing CM’s influence and how I use them in a balanced 442:

Attacking passing:

As you have a fairly flat midfield, you can keep good control of the players, not moving them way out position for no reason, and perform good long passes from you CM’s out wide, out forward, and shorter passes between them also. Having creative strikers is a must, and make full use of your wide men when you see the opportunity:

Posted Image

General Movement and Defending

I am no master on FUT. This year is my first time playing. But I already understand how important it is to get the right mix of letting the CPU control your players, and controlling them yourself. I try my best not to pull players way out of position just to get turned by the player, then I’d be exposed in that area. I try to defend as best I can and keep stability in my formation – It’s sometimes hard but it’s up to us to play our best, isn’t it.

In a balanced 442, again mentioning the CM’s as they are the rock in your midfield, keep them in the middle doing their jobs: passing, defending, don’t get caught out with silly passes, keep the ball, pass and move forward, take some longshots, tap your striker in on goal, passes out wide, crosses in – However you like to attack, you can do it with a 442 ,you just have to keep it neat.

Defending is fairly good with this formation because you have your line of 4 defenders, then 2 solid CM’s, supported around the edges by 2 wingers who can have as much defence as you choose. When you head forward your CM’s will join in attacks, and depending on your play style, yes, they may both get caught up top. It’s up to you to keep in control of your players.

If you are in an attacking motion you must stay in control of your CM’s and not get caught out. If you lose the ball in attacking motion like the image below, you must force your CM back into the large exposed space. This is the reason why you need at least 1 of your CM’s to have a High defence workrate. You can force the other back by controlling them. Speed and stamina helps here:

Posted Image

Team examples

Serie A

All round and well balanced. Great set of players. Serie A is a good league to get 11 or 23 players from for a 442.

Posted Image

Premier League

Personally my least favourite league to use out of the Big 4. Still, there are just enough all-round CM's for you to use this league and some good attack-minded CM's. Not many RM's with good defending qualities, though, there are plenty of attacking ones if you prefer this option.

Posted Image

Conclusion

442 is a brilliantly well balanced formation that is accessible to all types of play. If you feel that you are sometimes outweighed with the downsides than reaping the positives in your current, more defined formation, 442 could be a great route to go. If you choose the right players you can have great fun using this formation.

Q&A's

N/A
  • ssjmaz likes this

#2 Guarin

Guarin

Bronze Star

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

Criticism welcome.

Thank you.

#3 iSail

iSail

Bronze Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

Hm, a very good guide, but i think you should have more examples of good teams, and maybe use spoilers?

If you don't know how to use them, it's just

"[ spoiler ]Whatever you want in here[/ spoiler ]"

(Not including the " or spaces)

#4 itsVxbez

itsVxbez

Bronze Reserve

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

Great guide mate!

#5 Bonoplayer

Bonoplayer